One quarter of the globe’s adult population is “deeply infected with Antisemitic attitudes,” according to a new survey published by the New York City-based Anti-Defamation League (ADL).
The survey also found that nearly half of those surveyed had never heard of the Holocaust, and two thirds did not believe historical accounts of the genocide to be accurate. The organization, which has fought Anti-Semitism in America and abroad since 1913, interviewed people in 102 countries, in their native languages, regarding attitudes towards Jews and Judaism.
Here are the eleven Anti-Semitic statements included in the survey, along with the percentage of the global population that considered the statement “probably true”:
- Jews are more loyal to Israel than to [this country/to the countries they live in] — 41%
- Jews have too much power in the business world — 35%
- Jews have too much power in international financial markets — 34%
- Jews still talk too much about what happened to them in the Holocaust — 30%
- Jews don’t care what happens to anyone but their own kind — 33%
- Jews have too much control over global affairs — 29%
- Jews have too much control over the United States government — 25%
- Jews think they are better than other people — 34%
- Jews have too much control over the global media — 25%
- Jews are responsible for most of the world’s wars — 23%
- People hate Jews because of the way Jews behave — 32%
Of the 74% of respondents who have never met a Jewish person, 25% had largely racist attitudes towards Jews. Likewise, of the 26% who are Anti-Semites, 70% have never encountered an actual Jewish person.
Jews make up 0.17% of the global population. But 30% of respondents think that Jews make up between one and 10%; and nearly one in five think Jews are more than 10% of the world population.
The most Anti-Semitic countries include the Occupied Territories, Iraq, Yemen Algeria, and Libya. Those friendliest to Jews include the Philippines, Sweden, the United Kingdom, and the United States; and for some reason, the least Anti-Semitic nation is Laos.
Forty-nine percent of Muslims expressed hateful attitudes towards Jews, while only 24% of Christians did the same. But Orthodox Christians and Catholics were more likely to hate Jews than Protestants.
Sources: CNN | Anti-Defamation League 1 2