If there was only one knife you could take into the wilderness, which one you would pick? Everyone has an opinion when it comes to this topic – well people who like the outdoors at least. They all have their own favorites and differing reasons why they like one knife more than all the others.
For outdoor adventure enthusiasts, a survival knife is one of the most invaluable tools they have. They are designed specifically for survival situations. Survival knives need to be extremely sturdy as they are designed to cut through a wide range of things, whether you need to build a shelter, prepare food, light a fire, or even hunt if the need arises.
Here is a look at the top 10 knives for wilderness survival:
- Fallkniven A1 Survival Knife: When it comes to survival knives, the Swedish-made Fallkniven A1 is one of the best ones in the world. It has a strong, durable blade with laminated VG-10 steel. Measuring 11.3 inches long and weighing 12 ounces, the Fallkniven A1 is the survival knife you want if you are stranded in the wilderness or choosing to rough it.
- Gerber Bear Grylls Ultimate Survival Knife: Bear Grylls has endorsed many different survival knives, but the Gerber Bear Grylls Ultimate is probably the best among them. Measuring 10 inches and weighing 11.2. ounces, this knife comes with a 4.8-inch blade. It is available with a fine/serrated split or a fine blade. The Gerber Bear Grylls Ultimate is made of durable, strong high carbon and has a good, strong grip.
- ESEE 6 Fixed Blade Survival Knife: This well-known brand is respected for making high quality survival knives and the ESEE 6 is no exception. 11.75 inches long, it comes with a 6.5 inch blade and is perfect when you need to chop small branches, skinning animals, or batoning wood.
- Ka-Bar Mule Folding Survival Knife: As the name suggests, this is designed to be workhorse knife. The Ka-Bar Mule has a folding blade, but contrary to what you may think, it is tough enough to perform almost any survival task when you are outdoors. Its blade is just less than 4 inches and it comes with an ergonomically-designed handle. This is an affordable, high quality survival knife that is a poignant option.
- Army & Airforce Issue Survival Knife: This smart-looking knife comes with many salient features including a leather grip that works very well even if your hands are wet. With a carbon steel blade that has a serrated edge on one side that complements the fine edge running down the other, the Army & Airforce Issue Survival Knife is designed to handle a number of different tasks. There are two holes featured in the cross piece so that you can lash it to a stick, allowing you to make a spear if necessary.
- Crckt M21 Folding Survival Knife: While this knife may not be able to handle the tough tasks that others can, the Crckt M21 is a profound option if you are looking for a small survival knife that you can easily carry around. It weighs 3 ounces and comes with a 3 inch blade that you can easily open with one hand. For extra safety, the blade has a dual locking system.
- Gurkha Kukri: Modelled on the traditional machete-like knife that the Nepalese regiment of the British army used, this Cold Steel knife features an enormous 12-inch blade and comes with a curve that makes it incredibly easy for you to hack through foliage. It is perfect for any survival situation.
- Tool Logic SL Pro Survival Knife: If you are looking for the ultimate survival kit, this compact knife comes close to it. It comes with a 50-50 fine/serrated blade, an emergency whistle and an LED flashlight that can be neatly fit into the handle. For a versatile knife that performs general tasks well, the SL Pro is worth taking a look at.
- Rambo First Blood II Survival Knife: This knife is based on the one that Sylvester Stallone’s character used in the Rambo movie. But this is far from a Hollywood prop. It is a serious knife that has a fine edge on one side and a serrated one on the other. It also features a hollow handle that comes with an emergency kit, a compass that is mounted on the pommel and a Phillips and standard screwdriver head at the crosspiece ends.
- HelleTemagami Survival Knife: Designed by Helle, the Norwegian company, with input from Survivorman star, Les Stroud, the Temagami is a compact survival knife that comes with a 4-inch fine blade. The blade runs all the way right through the handle, ensuring extra strength. The bottom part of the blade is hidden in the blade so that you do not need to touch the steel in cold weather.
No matter what survival situation you are in, these knives will make sure that you have a tool that allows you to perform various tasks. If you are looking for high quality survival knives for your next adventure, consider one of the ones mentioned above, or perhaps two, to take along with you.